plural sculpins also sculpin
Definition of sculpin
1 : any of a family (Cottidae) of spiny large-headed usually bottom-dwelling often scaleless bony fishes with large fanlike pectoral fins
2 : a scorpion fish (Scorpaena guttata) of the southern California coast caught for food and sport
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- Must 'Collide' Mean Two Moving Objects?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?