scroph·u·lar·ia | \ ˌskräfyəˈla(a)rēə, -rȯf-\
Definition of scrophularia
1 capitalized : a large genus (the type of the family Scrophulariaceae) of coarse often strong-smelling perennial herbs that are native to temperate regions and have terminal clusters of small flowers with a gibbous corolla consisting of four erect lobes and one spreading lip, four anthers, and one staminodium
2 plural -s : any plant or flower of the genus Scrophularia
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game