scro·bic·u·la | \ skrōˈbikyələ\
variants: or less commonly scrobicule \ ˈskrōbəˌkyül , -räb- \
plural scrobiculae\ skrōˈbikyəˌlē , -ˌlī \ also scrobicules
Definition of scrobicula
: a shallow trench (as one of the smooth depressions surrounding the tubercles of a sea urchin)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game