scratch someone's backidiom
Definition of scratch someone's back
: to do something that helps someone else but that is often difficult to do or wrong and with the expectation of help in return —usually used in the phrase You scratch my back, and I'll scratch yours.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game