Definition of scratch division
: an old method of division in which the partial products are not set down at all but only the remainders so that it is necessary to scratch out each figure of the dividend from which subtraction is made and place the remainder each time above it
— called also galley method
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?