schuhplattlernoun, often capitalized
schuh·platt·ler | \ ˈshüˌplätlə(r)\
Definition of schuhplattler
: a Bavarian courtship dance in which before the couple dances together the woman calmly does steps resembling those of a waltz while the man dances vigorously about her swinging his arms and slapping his thighs and the soles of his feet
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game