schol·arch | \ ˈskäˌlärk\
Definition of scholarch
1 : the head of a school especially : the leader of an Athenian school of philosophy
2 [ French scolarque & German scholarch, from Late Greek scholarchēs ] archaic : a school inspector in France or Germany
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game