Definition of schola cantorum
1 : a singing school especially for church choristers specifically : the choir or choir school of a monastery or of a cathedral
2 : an enclosure designed for a choir and located in the center of the nave in early church buildings
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game