variants: or less commonly scaled partridge
Definition of scaled quail
: a crested quail (Callipepla squamata) of the southwestern U.S. and northern Mexico that is largely grayish brown above with pale bluish gray black-tipped breast feathers
— called also blue quail
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?