save someone's bacon/hide/neck/skinidiom
Definition of save someone's bacon/hide/neck/skin
: to save someone : to help someone get out of a dangerous or difficult situation You really saved my bacon by helping out yesterday. He doesn't care what happens to us. All he's worried about is saving his own skin/neck.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game