sap·ro·leg·nia | \ ˌsaprəˈlegnēə\
Definition of saprolegnia
1 capitalized : a genus (the type of the family Saprolegniaceae of the order Saprolegniales) of fungi having a stout tubular multinucleate much-branched thallus without constrictions, producing, dimorphic zoospores, growing in water chiefly on plant debris and animal remains, and including one form (S. ferax) that attacks living fish, tadpoles, and spawn and causes the white fungus disease
2 plural -s : any fungus of the genus Saprolegnia
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game