Definition of sandfish
1 : either of two small silvery scaleless fishes of the north Pacific that constitute the family Trichodontidae and burrow in the sand
2 : a small grayish brown or blue striped fish (Diplectrum formosum) that frequents sand shores
3 : sand eel sense 2
4 : an elongated cylindrical marine fish (genus Gonorhynchus) that has a short barbel under the chin, lives over sandy bottoms, and burrows freely in the sand
— called also beaked salmon
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?