Definition of sand rat
: any of various rodents native to sandy or desert areas: such as
a : pocket gopher
b : either of two small nearly naked African mole rats (genus Heterocephalus)
c : any of several African cricetid rodents (genus Psammomys)
d : a southern European rodent (Meriones longifrons) related to the typical gerbils
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?