Definition of sand pipe
1 : a pipe containing sand or serving as a channel for sand (as on a locomotive)
2 : a tubular cavity from a few inches to many feet in depth formed by solution especially in calcareous rocks and often filled with gravel and sand
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?