variants: or salt water taffy
Definition of saltwater taffy
: taffy that is made in various colors and flavors and is usually sold in small, individually-wrapped pieces Where better can the vacationing population of the Cape go to sightsee a human kaleidoscope, to keep kids entertained, to buy saltwater taffy and a Cape Cod sweatshirt, to have a good time and a good meal?— Charles N. Barnard
Note: Saltwater taffy is typically associated with seaside tourist areas. It may have salt as an ingredient, but it does not contain seawater.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game