Definition of salt glaze
: a stoneware glaze produced by vaporizing common salt in the fire of the kiln at the height of the firing so that the sodium of the salt reacts with silicates of the ware to form a coating of glassy acid-resistant mixed silicate of sodium and aluminum
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game