Definition of sacrificial theory
: a modern theory of the atonement derived from the New Testament epistle to the Hebrews and holding that Christ as both son of God and sinless representative of humankind has offered on the cross a life of perfect obedience which becomes the expiation cleansing all sin-stained souls — compare satisfaction theory
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- 'Confuzzled': A Not So Confusing Definition
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game