variants: or sacred earflower
Definition of sacred ear
: the fragrant spicy flower of a Mexican and Central American shrub or small tree (Cymbopetalum penduliflorum) having the shape of an ear and prized by the Aztecs for flavoring chocolate and for its supposed tonic properties
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?