variants: or sacred earflower
Definition of sacred ear
: the fragrant spicy flower of a Mexican and Central American shrub or small tree (Cymbopetalum penduliflorum) having the shape of an ear and prized by the Aztecs for flavoring chocolate and for its supposed tonic properties
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game