Definition of running text
: the main text of a document : text in the form of sentences or paragraphs as distinguished from captions, titles, lists, etc. a rare word found in lexicons but not in running text This figure (3a) has a weakly informative caption, as we have discussed, so the running text needs to be looked at closely.— James A. Fay, Introduction to Fluid Mechanics, 1994
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game