rule with a rod of ironidiom
Definition of rule with a rod of iron
: to rule a country, area, group, etc., in a very strict and often cruel way The dictator ruled (the country) with a rod of iron.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game