Definition of rubbing block
1 : an abrasive block that is commonly of sandstone and is used for cleaning, smoothing, or polishing (as marble, building stone, bricks)
2 : the part of an electric railway plow that makes contact with a conductor rail in a conduit
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game