rub salt in/into the woundidiom
Definition of rub salt in/into the wound
: to make a difficult situation even worse for someone It's bad enough that he was right and I was wrong, but the way he keeps talking about it is just rubbing salt in the wound.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game