rub (someone) up the wrong wayidiom
Definition of rub (someone) up the wrong way
: to cause (someone) to be angry or annoyed : to irritate She meant to be helpful but her suggestion really rubbed me up the wrong way.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- Must 'Collide' Mean Two Moving Objects?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?