Definition of royal fish
1 English law : marine animals (as whale, sturgeon or porpoises) of superior excellence that belong to the crown when cast ashore or caught in territorial waters
2 Scots law
a : whales of such large size as to entitle the sovereign to claim them
b : salmon in the sea and mussels and oysters that can be lawfully taken in public or private rivers only by license of the crown although the latter do not belong officially to the crown
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?