rough inphrasal verb
roughed in; roughing in; roughs in
Definition of rough in
: to make a rough or unfinished version of (something, such as a design) as the first step in creating the finished version Rough in the lettering on your poster. He roughed in the frame of the new door.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?