root (someone or something) onphrasal verb
rooted on; rooting on; roots (someone or something) on
Definition of root (someone or something) on
: to help (someone or something) to win or succeed by expressing or showing strong support Thousands of fans were there to root the team on.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game