root (someone or something) onphrasal verb
rooted on; rooting on; roots (someone or something) on
Definition of root (someone or something) on
: to help (someone or something) to win or succeed by expressing or showing strong support Thousands of fans were there to root the team on.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?