root (someone or something) onphrasal verb
rooted on; rooting on; roots (someone or something) on
Definition of root (someone or something) on
: to help (someone or something) to win or succeed by expressing or showing strong support Thousands of fans were there to root the team on.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?