variants: or less commonly rock dassie
Definition of rock hyrax
: a diurnal, terrestrial hyrax (Procavia capensis) of Africa and the Middle East that frequents rocky, scrub-covered areas Also residing in the kopje are rock hyraxes—small, social mammals that look like rodents but are more closely related to elephants, as their tusklike incisors attest.— Deborah A. Besch
Note: There are several subspecies of rock hyraxes that are sometimes regarded as distinct species. The rock hyrax of the Middle East is the coney of the Old Testament.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game