Definition of river shad
: a shad that spawns in one of the streams of the Mississippi drainage and is probably identical with the common American shad (Alosa sapidissima) but is sometimes considered a distinct species (A. chrysochloris)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?