rise to the occasion/challengeidiom
Definition of rise to the occasion/challenge
: to make the special effort that is required to successfully deal with a difficult situation No one was sure if he could handle the pressure of making a speech, but he rose to the occasion and did an excellent job. When the company needed to increase its sales, its employees rose to the challenge.
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game