variants: or less commonly ringneck snake
Definition of ring-necked snake
: any of numerous small smooth colubrid snakes having a yellowish ring about the neck and constituting a genus (Diadophis) with representatives in all parts of the U.S.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game