ring inphrasal verb
rang in; rung in; ringing in; rings in
Definition of ring in
1 : to celebrate the beginning of (something, such as a new year) How did you ring in the new millennium? We're going to New York to ring in the New Year.
2 chiefly British : to make a telephone call to a place (such as the place where one works) She was feeling too ill to go to the office yesterday so she rang in sick.
3 : to make a telephone call to a radio or television program Thousands of people rang in to make a donation.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game