variants: or less commonly rhizoctonia
Definition of rhizoctonia disease
1 : a disease caused by fungi of Rhizoctonia or closely related genera
2 : a disease of potatoes caused by a fungus (Pellicularia filamentosa synonym Rhizoctonia solani) and characterized especially by black scurfy spots on the tubers
— called also little potato, rosette, russet scab, stem canker— compare damping-off
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game