variants: or less commonly reversed spectrum line
Definition of reversed line
: a strong line in an emission spectrum that has a dark line down its middle due to absorption by the colder vapor which surrounds the central luminous vapor
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game