return tophrasal verb
returned to; returning to; returns to
Definition of return to
1 : to go to (a place where one works, studies, etc.) again after being away for a time When do you return to school?
2 : to start doing or using (something) again especially after a long time She hopes to return to working at home next week.
3 : to start an activity again that relates to (something) He returned to his book after feeding the cat. Let's return to your first question.
4 : to change back to (an earlier or original condition or state) She soon returned to her old habits. His breathing returned to normal.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game