Definition of retest
1 transitive : to evaluate, measure, or identify (something or someone) again by means of a test In English I, 77,623 students who were retested in the spring failed again.— Terrence Stutz … his team tutored and retested a group of healthy elderly volunteers on whom he'd gathered data for 14 years.— Marilyn Chase … cats may test negative for some time after they are exposed and should be retested 90 days after possible exposure. — Cat Fancy The doctors were retesting him for cystic fibrosis.— Gary Smith
2 intransitive : to be tested again … Rhodes has instituted a new policy allowing students to retest at any time, letting them leap forward when they're ready.— Brian Thevenot
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game