Definition of rest period
1 : a period when the internal condition of a wood plant is unfavorable for the growth of buds even though external conditions are favorable
2 : a period (as during winter or in a dry season) when bulbous plants lose their foliage and mature their bulbs
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game