rest on/uponphrasal verb
rested on/upon; resting on/upon; rests on/upon
Definition of rest on/upon
1 : to depend or rely on (someone or something) All our hopes rested on one man.
2 : to stop moving and look at (someone or something) His eyes/gaze rested on the letter.
3 : to be based on (something) His theory rested upon two important pieces of evidence.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game