rest on/uponphrasal verb
Definition of rest on/upon
1 : to depend or rely on (someone or something) All our hopes rested on one man.
2 : to stop moving and look at (someone or something) His eyes/gaze rested on the letter.
3 : to be based on (something) His theory rested upon two important pieces of evidence.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game