Definition of resonance hybrid
: a compound, molecule, ion, or radical exhibiting resonance and having a structure represented in the written form as the average of two or more structural formulas separated each from the next by a double-headed arrow the resonance hybrid of carbon dioxide is represented by−O−C≡O+⇆O=C=O⇆+O≡C−O−
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game