res nul·li·us | \ ˌrāsnəˈlēəs, rāˈsnu̇lē-; ˌrēznəˈlīəs, rēzˈnəlēəs\
Definition of res nullius
1 : a thing belonging to no one whether because never appropriated (as a wild animal) or because abandoned by its owner but acquirable by appropriation
2 : property not subject to private ownership under Roman law
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game