Definition of relieving tackle
1 : a temporary tackle rigged to a ship's tiller during gales or in battle to assist or replace the steering gear
2 : a tackle to a careened ship to prevent her from going over entirely and to assist in righting her
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game