Definition of relaxation time
1 : the time required for an exponentially decreasing variable (as the amplitude of a damped oscillation) to drop from an initial value to 1/e or 0.368 of that value (where e is the base of natural logarithms)
2 : the period required for the attainment of statistical equipartition of energy (as of motion) within the Milky Way galaxy, any other galaxy, groups of galaxies, clusters, stars or any selected group of similar celestial bodies
3 : the time required for a viscous substance to recover from shearing stress after flow has ceased
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?