Definition of regulative principle
: a rule or principle of procedure: such as
a archaic : the principle underlying syllogistic inference or in accordance with which any particular inference is drawn
b : a rule of procedure to which there is no alternative if the desired end is to be secured although it cannot itself assure attainment
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?