Definition of regild
: to gild (something or someone) anew:
a : to overlay (something) again with a thin covering of gold The frame was regilded as part of the restoration.
b : to restore (someone or something) to an attractive but often deceptive appearance Hers was the mission … of regilding the hero of the holy war …— Amy Kelly The Italian dealer Giacomo Medici was eventually convicted and jailed, at which point the Swiss decided it was time to regild the reputation of the freeport …— Alastair Bonnett
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game