Definition of refractive system
: an optical system in which lenses instead of mirrors are used for focusing light, forming an image, or changing the path of a beam of light by refraction specifically : a mode of lighting in lighthouses by a central lamp surrounded by a combination of lenses
— called also refracting system
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game