Examples of referendum in a Sentence
The issue was decided by referendum.
Recent Examples of referendum from the Web
The close but clear vote in the 2016 referendum to leave the EU was a startling surprise.
And Englishness played a big part in the referendum, too: 73% of those who defined themselves as English voted to leave, and 66% of those who defined themselves as British voted to remain.
Polls show that opinion has shifted, but only slightly: In the referendum, 52 percent favored leaving the EU and 48 percent wanted to stay.
The project is the last of the construction being funded in the district through $84.2 million approved by voters in a referendum.
The safe course for the ambitious former London mayor would have been to back his longtime political ally Cameron’s bid to keep Britain inside the EU in the referendum and let the prime minister sink or swim.
Sunderland was the first district to declare its emphatic support for Brexit in the referendum two years ago and the result reverberated across the country and sent the pound tumbling in currency markets.
But even if formally approved by the council at its second reading July 9, the ordinance cannot take effect until residents vote to approve it in a November referendum.
Although Barry has lived too long outside of her native country to be legally allowed to vote in the referendum, other Irish expats have traveled thousands of miles to vote.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'referendum.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Did You Know?
Referendum is a Latin word, but its modern meaning only dates from the 19th century, when a new constitution adopted by Switzerland stated that the voters could vote directly on certain issues. Thus, a referendum is a measure that's referred (that is, sent on) to the people. Since the U.S. Constitution doesn't provide for referenda (notice the common plural form) at the national level, referenda tend to be on local and state issues. In most locales, a few questions usually appear on the ballot at election time, often involving such issues as new zoning ordinances, new taxes for schools, and new limits on spending.
REFERENDUM Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of referendum for English Language Learners
: an event in which the people of a county, state, etc., vote for or against a law that deals with a specific issue : a public vote on a particular issue
REFERENDUM Defined for Kids
Origin and Etymology of referendum
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up referendum? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).