refer tophrasal verb
referred to; referring to; refers to
Definition of refer to
1 : to look at or in (something) for information She often refers to her notes when giving a speech. Please refer to our website for more information.
2 : to have a direct connection or relationship to (something) The word "finch" refers to a kind of bird. The numbers shown in the text refer to footnotes at the bottom of the page.
3 : to talk about or write about (someone or something) especially briefly : to mention (someone or something) in speech or in writing No one referred to the incident.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?