refer tophrasal verb
referred to; referring to; refers to
Definition of refer to
1 : to look at or in (something) for information She often refers to her notes when giving a speech. Please refer to our website for more information.
2 : to have a direct connection or relationship to (something) The word "finch" refers to a kind of bird. The numbers shown in the text refer to footnotes at the bottom of the page.
3 : to talk about or write about (someone or something) especially briefly : to mention (someone or something) in speech or in writing No one referred to the incident.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game