Definition of red-legged kittiwake
: a kittiwake (Rissa brevirostris) that nests along the coast of the Bering Sea and closely resembles the black-legged kittiwake but is distinguished by its red legs and shorter bill The red-legged kittiwake, one of several species unique to the Bering Sea, is located almost entirely on St. George Island in the Pribilofs.— Yereth Rosen, Los Angeles Times, 29 Dec. 1991
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game