Definition of red-backed sandpiper
: a widely distributed rather small sandpiper (Erolia alpina) that is typically cinnamon to rusty brown above, often variously streaked or marked with black (as on the abdomen), and largely white below, has a long and downcurved bill, breeds in northern or artic regions, and winters chiefly in the southern U.S. and around the Mediterranean
— called also dunlin
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game