reason withphrasal verb
reasoned with; reasoning with; reasons with
Definition of reason with
: to talk with (someone) in a sensible way in order to try to change that person's thoughts or behavior They tried to reason with him, but he wouldn't listen.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game